It’s Day 10 of Veganuary!! How are you finding it so far??
If you have taken the pledge we take our hats off to you! It’s also not too late for those who haven’t… We know it can be a little daunting at first, so we thought we would check in with you and share our top tips.
So without further ado, here are Mummy Meagz top 10 tips:
- Don’t focus on the things you are choosing not to eat. Veganuary is not about restricting yourself. Go into it with an open mind and instead focus on the abundance of foods readily available to you. You can get a vegan alternative to everything in this day and age.. even vegan halloumi, cheesecake and shrimp! It was only 10 years ago when vegans were limited to pretty much just vegetables, tofu and soya milk. It’s crazy what we can get our hands on and produce – it’s an exciting time to be alive!
- Take advantage of the online vegan community. Vegans love to help people on their Veganuary journey!
- Veganise the food you love. Whether it’s lasagne, burgers, pizzas or even a fry up! You can make super tasty, cruelty-free versions to anything.
- Ask questions. If you are eating out, ordering a drink or even buying shoes and you are unsure about the risk of animal products being used then always just ask a member of staff. Remember: You are not being awkward! After a while, you will start to pick up on what to look out for.
- Try various alternatives. Maybe soya milk is not for you, but don’t be discouraged. There are many other alternatives to dairy milk out there, including oat, almond, coconut, hazelnut, rice, cashew and hemp milk! The same goes for all alternatives though – some you might prefer more than others so keep going until you find the one!
- Educate yourself. Use the month of January to read any books, watch documentaries or speak to people about veganism, nutrition and the environment.
- Visit your local vegan businesses. They will probably happy dance and be over the moon to help you out, and they will always be able to point you in the right direction. It will also give you the opportunity to meet
- Do Veganuary with a friend or make new vegan friends. It can seem daunting going at it alone in the beginning. With a friend by your side, everything will be a lot easier. Plus nothing beats sharing the excitement of trying new things with someone equally as passionate.
- Don’t worry if you slip up. It’s not about being perfect –
itsabout doing your best! We have all made mistakes or accidentally missed tricky ingredients. It’s absolutely fine, use it as a learning curve and move forwards.
- Enjoy it! In the last 10 days alone there has been a massive rise in the
amountof vegan products available in supermarkets, restaurants, coffee shops and retail stores. Take advantage of the offers they have on for Veganuary whilst you can.