Calling all meat-eaters, vegetarians, pescatarians, flexitarians, reducetarians and anything in between.
My guess is that many of you have never/would never consider veganism, because you could never go vegan right? What would you even eat? What about cheese? But bacon though. We get it. Because pretty much every vegan ever, has also said those exact things. Now look at them, very much vegan. Still alive and kicking.
But how about it? Even if you just fancy a challenge. Most people make new years resolutions in January, and many of them involve becoming fitter and healthier. If you incorporate yummy, cruelty free and plant based meals into your diet, they will automatically be healthier for you – unless you discover vegan cake and then maybe not so much. But it does taste so much better when it’s cruelty free!
Which is where Veganuary comes in…
Veganuary is a UK charity that encourages people around the world to try vegan in January (and throughout the year). They are dedicated to changing public attitudes and aim to reduce the unnecessary suffering of animals whilst inspiring and supporting people across the globe to go vegan. Veganuary offer support and advice to everyone who takes the pledge, and they make the transition to veganism as easy and enjoyable as possible.
Throughout January they will email you and offer you support, with their vegan starter kit. Veganuary also offers you 31 days of free recipes and access to over 600 vegan recipes. There are plenty of recipes for vegan-versions of food you probably like so you won’t feel like you’re giving up on your favourite meals. Throughout the rest of the year they will check in via email as well to see how you are getting on, with a lot more help and tips.
Over the years the number of people taking the Veganuary pledge have almost doubled. In 2018 a whopping 168,500 people took the pledge, and their goal for 2019 is 300,000 sign ups. It’s been stated that a person is signing up every 8 seconds!
Here are some facts to think over:
- 1. Over 8 billion animals are killed each year in the UK alone for the meat industry.
- 2. Male chicks are ground up alive because they cannot lay eggs and are deemed as ‘useless’ to the industry.
- 3. 1/3 of the worlds cereal harvest and 90% of the worlds
soyaharvest is fed to farmed animals instead of people.
- 4. The amount of meat we get from said farmed animals is very little in comparison to the amount of food they are fed.
- 5. A
plant baseddiet reduces the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and various cancers.
- 6. By law, there are 400 million pus cells allowed in a litre of milk. BY LAW.
- 7. 51% of global greenhouse gas emissions and 91% of amazon destruction are caused by livestock.
- 8. 1 hamburger uses 660 gallons of water to create, which is the equivalent to 2 months worth of
You can sign up to Veganuary here.
Choose compassion this January and see where it takes you!
Happy New Year,
Love Mummy Meagz